Thursday, February 12, 2009

First trip to the ER

I guess 2 kids and and Ryan almost a year we have finally made our first trip to the ER. Last night both kids had high fevers. Ashlyn came down a lot when we gave her more Tylenol. Ryan's was at 102 when he went to bed but I had given him Tylenol about 20 min before he went to bed. At 11pm before I fell asleep I said to Trever I think I need to go check on him since it had been over 4 hours since he had the Tylenol. I went up and checked on him and he was burning up. We took his temp 104.3 I freaked out and got dressed and took him to the ER. We had given him Tylenol before I left so at 11:15 or so. When they took his temp in the ER at 12:00am it was 103.7 so had gone down a little but not much. His heart rate was really elevated because of his high temp. They checked him out and did a flu test and after waiting about 45 min sure enough it came back positive. He also had an upper respiratory infection which he gave me an antibiotic for. They also gave him something else to get his temp down. We had to stay until his temp was down to around 100 and his heart rate was back to 130's. We were there for a couple of hours. Poor little Ryan was so tired and as soon as he would fall asleep someone would come in and do something and wake him up.

All in all he will be fine and I am glad I took him in. He is sleeping now. Poor baby.

Good news is Ashlyn woke up this morning without a temp. She has been playing all morning and seems to be on the mend. So hopefully Ryan's won't last to much longer.

5 comments:

Jessica Davis said...

I know how hard that is! and how scary!
thinking of you!!!
Jess

Kristin (kekis) said...

That had to be so scary. I'm glad they are both doing better today!

Jess said...

Oh my goodness...Ryan cannot catch a break! Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

Jennifer Reilly said...

Oh my goodness Susan! That had to be really scary! I am glad they are both doing somewhat better. I hope everyone feels better soon! I hope after being exposed to all these germs this year that they will be healthier in the years to come. We are always here if you need anything. Just give us a call! (We normally don't go to bed until midnight or 1am during the week.)

La Bonne Vie - The House of Brodt said...

Oh no...that's so horrible. I hope that they continue to get to feeling better.